Monday, June 14, 2010

Just A Little Green


This Thursday I'll be reading from Little Green at Annie Bloom's Books in Multnomah Village. It's hard to figure what to read--something from the beginning so the listeners don't get lost? Something from the middle? Some place where things get interesting and the story is moving? Definitely not from the end. I don't want to ruin the ending for anyone. My two little girl friends (5 & 7) had waffles with me yesterday. I asked the girls what they were reading these days. Sylvia said she was reading Charlotte's Web and Kika said, "It's sad when Charlotte dies." Yeah, not so much reading from the end.
In workshops, you're always reading what you're working on, the pages you're holding are still warm from the copy machine, but once a book is bound you are, too, to the words printed and the story as it exists on the page. You can get caught up in revision and I think some writers never finish the longer project because the story keeps changing on them. Little Green is my first book, my baby really but would she be the same baby if I wrote that story again? She was my training bike. Zadie Smith compared her first novel, White Teeth, with a slightly overweight not totally attractive child. You send your work out into the world and you hope for kindness and a welcoming reception and then you let go and start the next project. Such is life, I suppose.
As for Thursday's reading, I believe I'll choose something seasonal and hope for a warm and sunny day!

No comments:

Post a Comment